Our story began in a 1,600ft rented space for both the lab, and office in Minneapolis, MN. Demand for Environmental services was strong, and Pace survived its startup years. Forty years later, Pace is a company we are all proud to be a part of.
Pace Past, Present & Future
Pace is the only commercial testing firm of its size to have maintained the same leadership and American ownership for its entire existence. For that reason, the Pace story mirrors that of America. Rooted in a desire to make the world a better place, grown over time through the hard work of our people and driven by innovation to a future filled with growth and possibility.
It all started in 1978
We opened our doors more than 40 years ago with a vision: to deliver science better. The world was changing. New laws and regulations were being introduced to protect our health and the environment. We saw an opportunity to support our clients with precise and thorough scientific testing, helping them to stay in compliance. At the time, it felt like a demand that was never going to run out. And it hasn’t.
Over the years, we took the time to develop our processes and learn how to serve our customers as they deal with complex and ever-changing regulations. We’re proud to be a leader in an industry that made our world safer and healthier than it was.
We have continuously improved and today we continue to live our vision of delivering science better. We promise to provide the highest quality testing and scientific services in the industry, supported by ethical standards, transparency and personalized support.
We believe that the quality and accuracy of data is absolutely essential to the success and reputation of our clients. This belief is at the core of what we do, because knowledge is power. And it’s only through uncovering the truth that we will have the ability to continue to protect our most precious resources.
- 1978 – Pace is founded by Steve Vanderboom and Bill O’Connor.
- 1982 – Pace grows into a new laboratory in Golden Valley, MN.
- 1986 – Growth continues, Pace is up to 50 employees and expanded their lab.
- 1989 – Changed name to Pace, Inc.
- 1994 – Merger of Pace, ETC and Coast-to-Coast into a new company: Pace Incorporated.
- 1995 – Ribbon-cutting on new Petaluma, CA laboratory.
- 1995 – Incorporated with Rod Burwell to become Pace Analytical Services, Inc.
- 1997 – Built new corporate office and laboratory in Minneapolis.
- 1998 – Entered Dioxin business with acquisition of Maxim.
- 1999 – Entered the dotcom business with acquisition of labseek.com
- 2001 – Opened an aquatic toxicity lab in Frontenac, KS.
- 2001 – Acquired a new lab in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 2002 – Implemented the 3P Continuous Improvement Program to ensure Pace continued to lead in best practices and consistent performance.
- 2003 – Purchased a lab in San German, Puerto Rico
- 2006 – Launched PacePort, a 24/7 online data management system
- 2006 – Pace Analytical Life Sciences is incorporated
- 2007 – Introduced Pace Yourself, a first-in-industry learning management system for efficient, ongoing training.
- 2007 – Acquisition of P3 Scientific Lab in Oakdale, MN
- 2009 – Launched Rapid Response for 24/7 emergency analytical support.
- 2011 – Added new corporate and LabOps facilities at corporate headquarters
- 2012 – Purchased current Oakdale, MN Life Sciences building.
- 2013 – Entered energy services: forensics market.
- 2016 – Gained new partner, Aurora Capital Group of Los Angeles, CA.
- 2017 – Tennessee-based ESC Lab Services becomes a subsidiary of Pace
- 2017 – Wolfe Laboratories in Boston becomes a Pace subsidiary.
- 2018 – Acquired REIC Laboratories in Beaver, WV.
- 2018 – Celebrated 40 years of Pace
- 2019 – Acquired Shealy Environmental Services, Inc.
- 2020 – Acquired Aerobiology Laboratory Associates, Inc.
- 2020 – Acquired Bio-Concept Laboratories, Inc.
- 2020 – Acquired Con-Test® Analytical Laboratory
Looking Towards the Future of Pace
At Pace, we all come to work each day with the same goal: to leave the world a little cleaner, safer, better than we found it. It’s with this eye to the future that we make decisions today. We focus on innovation and growth so that we can reach this goal efficiently and ethically all while producing value for our clients.
We will move forward with the same commitment that inspired us to open our doors four decades ago, to protect our environment and improve our health. As we grow, the challenges get bigger, the regulations more complicated, the results more important than ever. But we invest in our people and technology. Our commitment to continuous improvement and innovation means we’re ready for everything that lies ahead.